Monday, November 24, 2008

Goodreads.com

Greetings to all of you avid readers out there! I sincerly enjoy reading, and I have as long as I can remember. I can recall hot sticky summer days on my bike making the trek to the library with a large (and extremely heavy) backpack that made my shoulders throb for days. I suppose I didn't mind all that much, considering how many times I made the trip! My favorite thing to do in the summer was read as much as I could. I liked series, young adult fiction, mysteries, fiction and history books, you name it! I am named after Corrie Ten Boom, so I have always had an interest in books about the holocaust. I read Corrie Ten Boom's books, The Diary of Anne Frank, Night, and many many more. The library at my elementary school was insatiable and I outread them quickly. I also wanted to be an archeologist and a palentologist, so my big obbessions were Ancient Egypt and dinosaur bones! I actually begged my mom to take me to the science mueseum to see the new Mummy exhibit! WHAT A NERD! I should have known....

Wow that was off topic.

What I was getting to, is that I found a new website for readers!! It is called goodreads.com, and I like it a lot better than livingsocial.com which I mentioned in a previous post. It is much more focused on the actual 'reading' of the book instead of where to buy it. Instead of posting a review that says, boring i hated this book, you will find a well written review of a book which acurately portrays and reveals the writing style and maybe, if you're lucky, possible themes of the book! There are authors who use the site and moderate discussions about their books. I found a group where people discuss books more than just the surface level summary. I seriously love this website but don't tell anyone because I know its pretty nerdy. Another thing I love is that you can make different bookshelves. For example, I have a book shelf called "books I hope my children will read" which contains a bunch of books I've either read recently or read when I was little that made an impresssion on me. I'm trying to build my bookshelf right now ( I looked at bookshelves at Ikea with Chris this weekend, and they had so many cool ones and awesome set-ups, including a bookshelf with a ladder on it that moves around....COOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!) with books I love and would like to lend people to read, and most excitingly, books that I am really excited to read to my children!!

IF anyone actually reads this, you should go to goodreads.com and tell me what you think!!!http://www.goodreads.com

No comments: